Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dear Ri,

It's been so long since I've posted in this space. I have so much going on with my work and all the work going on in our new apartment. The sweltering heat and frequent power cuts are not helping!

10 Ri-eal Life Updates:

  1. You are 2 years and 5 months now. You started playschool, it's been a good 3 days so far and I cross my fingers that you will adjust well. Last time I enrolled you, I think you might have been too young. Of course, there are some kids who adjust well at younger ages but let's just say you were not one of them.
  2. You keep talking about a 'tangachi' (younger sister in Tamil)  'paapa' (baby in Tamil).
    I think you would be a great elder sister. However, you talk about the 'tangachi' as a playmate who will come everyday, play with you and leave. You get upset when I tell you that babies have to stay in their mother's stomachs till they come out into the world. Its amusing when you tell me that 'tangachi' should not be in my stomach because you will crawl back into it. I think you need a best friend! 
  3. You love grouping RD, you and me together as a family. When your grandparents offer to come visit you in school or move into our new apartment, you tell them with glee that only you, your mommy and daddy will be together wherever you go! 
  4. You are very religious. You love watching 'pujas' , talking about Gods and hearing their stories. You can describe how Lord Shiva lives with his family in Kailash and can point at Holy Cross and say Jesus! I love that about you and always hope you will be a secular, peaceful child. 
  5. When I described the Holy Trinity to you, you were a bit disappointed that your favourite Ganesha did not make the cut! 
  6. I still carry a diaper bag for you, everywhere I go. These days, I rarely seem to take stuff out of it except for your milk, water and some baby wipes. I could very well, stuff them into my regular handbag. Packing your diaper bag before we go out is a ritual for me. I love neatly folding your spare dresses, your diaper cream and powder (where am I ever going to powder you in a restaurant) and placing them in their compartments. I feel more prepared to face the world as a mother with my diaper bag! That, and the fact that I am desperately trying to hold on to every ritual associated with you as a baby as long as I can. Carrying the diaper bag around reminds me that I am a 'mother', I feel purposeful, resourceful and needed. Whatever the tribulations associated with it, I enjoy being your mom. 
  7. You love playing with 'chapati' dough. So, I bought you Play-Doh. Well, it excited you for around 48 hours before you went back to demanding for your 'maavu'
  8. Your dad totally sees through the stunt I pull in 'using you' to pass on messages to him. Every time you say you want to go out for '5-star' dinner or want a 'foreign' holiday, he looks at me suspiciously!
  9. Speaking of which, we took you to the Chola for dinner and you walked into the lobby, looked around and sighed with happiness. You were delighted with the air-conditioning, the flower arrangements and the friendly staff. I think your father pretended to not know who I was because I walked you around and made you pose for pictures against paintings and artifacts. 
  10. You throw tantrums saying you want to do 'computer velai' like your Amma.  You sit in front of the computer and strum away at the keys. Though, mostly you watch religious videos on Youtube. 
  11. These days, you call me in a variation of names: Amma, my real name, Mommy, Mummy, Ammi and most recently, Mama! 
  12. You love lipbalms and the idea of lipstick. Since I don't really own any lipsticks, I fool you with lipgloss and Nivea's lipbalm. 
  13. This morning, an elderly gentleman who lives on the same road came for a visit. You saw him, ran into the kitchen and asked 'Mumu' to fill the ice-bucket with ice since 'Thatha's' friends have come in for a visit!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darling Ri, you assume we are ready to drink at anytime which we probably are ? 
  14. I bought you a small schoolbag from Witco. Shopping for you at familiar places like Witco and Bata for shoes (which I only recently discovered was not an Indian company) makes me happy. It reminds me of my childhood. I don't know if you'd like the clothes from London Stores at Luz Corner or Children's Choice at Mylapore though! 
  15. I don't know how old you will be when you read this. Will this storage space survive ?
    If you are reading, I want you to know that you are and will always be the light of my life. 
Love, 

Mama 


No comments:

Post a Comment