Sunday, June 17, 2012

Six o'clock already I was just in the middle of a dream

Monday Morning 
Ri and I converse mainly in Tamizh. Below is the translated version :) 

Ri: I will not go to school today !
Me : Please do and I promise that Appa and I will come and see you very soon.
We have a parents orientation today
Me: It's time to brush away the germs! Let me brush your teeth for you!
Ri : No ! Only, daddy has to brush my teeth!
Me: Let's gargle your mouth.....
Ri: No ! Only, daddy has to give me the water!
Me: Time to bathe ?
Ri: No ! Only, daddy has to bathe me !
Daddy hands over freshly bathed Ri to me. She accidentally got soap into her eyes so she is a bit fussy. 
Ri : No No No ! I will not get ready ! I will not go to school !
Me : If you fuss like this and refuse to let me help you, I will go to Aysha's (fictitious good girl) house.
Ri stays quiet for 20 seconds. Maybe she's imagining how Aysha looks.
Me : Let's wear the blue dress. It's so pretty ! Or, would you like to pick ?
Me confusing her with and without choice. This is what happens when your Mom is a Libran.
Ri: Pink Pink Pink ! Pink top and pink leggings
Me: They don't really match.......do you want to wear a pair of shorts with the pink top ?
I could have just sent to school a happy kid with mismatched clothes rather than a whiny kid in matching clothes.
Ri : Noooooooooo !!!!!!! Begins to sob 
Me: Ok. You have to wear your underwear now
Ri: I won't wear this one......sobs
Me: Losing patience and does not want to scream on a Monday morning
I bring in the Patti resource. She is well-behaved as my mom gets her ready. I almost feel like the 'bad' person. Why did I have to be OCD about matching clothes ? 

Sometimes I forget that I'm 30 and she's just 2.5 years old. Is there anything called a 'fair game' between a mother and a toddler. I feel remorseful after reprimanding her, consoling myself that she's just a baby! However, I see the mischievous glint in her eyes when she sees me, she knows exactly when she's being stubborn and she knows which buttons to push. When I scold her, she tells me not to, otherwise she'll tell her daddy.

And then I disconnect myself from the conversation volley and view it as an outsider. I hear myself telling Ri the things that my parents used to tell me and I swore I would never say to my kids.

"I've never had as many toys as you. You have to be more careful with them!"
"Where are the other crayons ?" We just bought them! Daddy works very hard to buy you these things!"
"You will not speak to me this way. I do not deserve this after everything I do for you."
 
And that's the way the story goes........


 
Blog Title: Maniac Monday - The Bangles



No comments:

Post a Comment